Tuesday, September 09, 2008

My Knee & Hip v the NHS

Some of you are most probably aware that I have to have a Hip and Knee replacement, my knee it must be getting on for 7 years that I have been waiting and for my hip 3 years. Our sacred cow called the NHS has done its best to prevent the operation happening WHY? money it seems that Big People (I am 23st 7lbs) need special beds in recovery and you need constant vigilance for 24 hours after the operation. So how do they prevent you having operation:
1) They tell you that as a big man you could die on the operating theatre because your lungs will not push your chest up
2) Big people suffer easily from Blood clots which could kill you
3) Cannot get a knee replacement your size
4) Knee will only last a year then will have to be replaced
So you think hang on I can put up with the pain a bit longer because there is no way I want die but eventually, the pain and the fact you can no longer walk any distance without a stick and hanging on to railings, you decide to take the risk. Then they tell you if you lose 8 stone they will operate, this will take me to a weight I was at 15 years and how do I lose this weight? I eat moderately I do not drink alcohol during the week and only limited amount at weekends plus I still train 5 days a week admittedly always in a seated position. Eventually you get a surgeon who will operate only to be told 24 hours before the operation it has been cancelled this has happened twice in 3 years, so back to another appointment with yet another surgeon. The last one I saw was three weeks ago he agreed to operate but the told me he was leaving the area the following day can you believe it. So my next appointment is in October if that is a waste of time I will be going private to a hospital in Belgium at a cost of £8500 I will have to break into my savings and go with out a few things but it will be worth it but I will be thinking all the time WHY HAVE I PUT MONEY INTO THE NHS SINCE THE AGE OF 15?

This last year has been the worse for me as I have become a cripple and for the first time in my life I can understand what permanently disabled people must be going through. People look at you as if you are some sort of freak because you walk with a stick, some in my case enjoy my disability comments like “I bet you wish you had not done Judo now” or “I thought sport was good for you ha, ha”. The frustration at not being able do things is most probably the worst thing NO the worst is when someone offers to help you across the road, talking to you as if you are some half wit.
Hopefully my disability will not be permanent and in a years time I hope to be back walking country lanes again.


Martin Clarke Sittingbourne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.