Date: 13th April 2012
New traveller planning guidance welcomed
Gordon Henderson MP has welcomed the announcement by the Government that new planning guidance on traveller sites will be implemented following a consultation last year as part of the Localism Bill.
The new guidance, which replaces the old Labour planning circulars on travellers - Circular 01/06, will see a variety of changes including:
- Abolishing top-down regional targets.
- Strengthening the protection of Green Belt land and the open countryside.
- Deleting the compulsory purchase of land for traveller sites by local councils.
- Removing the restrictions on councils to use enforcement action.
- Providing suitable, authorised sites to councils for use as traveller sites.
Mr Henderson said:
"The previous Labour Government introduced a number of policies which were flawed, undermined local Government and damaged the planning system so I welcome this new guidance, which I hope will put an end to some of the abuses we have seen in so many of our local communities."
Gordon Henderson - MP for Sittingbourne and Sheppey
House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA
Telephone: 0207 219 7144
Mobile: 07866 719923
Top Floor, Unit 10 Periwinkle Court
Church Street, Milton Regis
Sittingbourne, Kent, ME10 2JZ
Telephone: 01795 423199